Welcome to Conspiracycafe.net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Who exposed the name of the CIA operative?

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
285 replies to this topic

sosuemetoo

sosuemetoo

Conspiratus Illuminatus

• 4,477 posts
Give me some rep
  • DOB: Unrepeatable

• I am: At Peace with my soul

• Country flag:
I know it's been illuded to on several threads. I thought I would start a thread that was based on this subject. This might be the thing that gets Bush impeached.

There's a few links to get it started.

http://www.huffingto...s-cov_3556.html

Rove Blew CIA Agent's Cover

I revealed in yesterday's taping of the McLaughlin Group that Time magazine's emails will reveal that Karl Rove was Matt Cooper's source. I have known this for months but didn't want to say it at a time that would risk me getting dragged into the grand jury.

McLaughlin is seen in some markets on Friday night, so some websites have picked it up, including Drudge, but I don't expect it to have much impact because McLaughlin is not considered a news show and it will be pre-empted in the big markets on Sunday because of tennis.

Since I revealed the big scoop, I have had it reconfirmed by yet another highly authoritative source. Too many people know this. It should break wide open this week. I know Newsweek is working on an 'It's Rove!' story and will probably break it tomorrow.

http://www.msnbc.msn.../site/newsweek/

Time magazine talked to Bush's guru for Plame story.

By Michael Isikoff
Newsweek

July 11 issue - Its legal appeals exhausted, Time magazine agreed last week to turn over reporter Matthew Cooper's e-mails and computer notes to a special prosecutor investigating the leak of an undercover CIA agent's identity. The case has been the subject of press controversy for two years. Saying "we are not above the law," Time Inc. Editor in Chief Norman Pearlstine decided to comply with a grand-jury subpoena to turn over documents related to the leak. But Cooper (and a New York Times reporter, Judith Miller) is still refusing to testify and faces jail this week.

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash1.htm

Lawyer Says Rove Talked to Reporter, Did Not Leak Name
Sat Jul 02 2005 21:05:04 ET

Karl Rove, President Bush's chief political adviser, spoke with TIME mag's Matthew Cooper during a critical week in July 2003 when Cooper was reporting on a public critic of the Bush administration who was also the husband of a CIA operative.

But Rove did not leak the name of the CIA op Plame, Rove's lawyer said again Saturday night.

Robert Luskin said Rove never identified Plame to Cooper in those conversations.

"Karl did nothing wrong. Karl didn't disclose Valerie Plame's identity to Mr. Cooper or anybody else,'' Luskin said to the WASHINGTON POST. Luskin said the question remains unanswered: ``Who outed this woman? ... It wasn't Karl.''

NBC's Lawrence O'Donnell claimed this weekend, 'Rove Blew CIA Agent's Cover'.

"Emails will reveal that Karl Rove was Matt Cooper's source. I have known this for months," O'Donnell said.

Developing...

It seems to me like the Republicans and Karl Rove are running for cover. Matt Drudge is usually on the Republican's side. That doesn't seem to be the case this time. I'll let the rest of you chime in on this.

Guest_Dado_*

Guest_Dado_*
  • Guests
Read a great article on this today. Comparing Rove to Osama, LOL.

http://news.yahoo.co...HNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

KARL ROVE: WORSE THAN OSAMA BIN LADEN

By Ted Rall Mon Jul 4, 7:00 PM ET

NEW YORK--In war collaborators are more dangerous than enemy forces, for they betray with intimate knowledge in painful detail and demoralize by their cynical example. This explains why, at the end of occupations, the newly liberated exact vengeance upon their treasonous countrymen even they allow foreign troops to conduct an orderly withdrawal.

If, as state-controlled media insists, there is such a creature as a Global War on Terrorism, our enemies are underground Islamist organizations allied with or ideologically similar to those that attacked us on 9/11. But who are the collaborators?

The right points to critics like Michael Moore, yours truly, and Ward Churchill, the Colorado professor who points out the gaping chasm between America's high-falooting rhetoric and its historical record. But these bête noires are guilty only of the all-American actions of criticism and dissent, not to mention speaking uncomfortable truths to liars and deniers. As far as we know, no one on what passes for the "left" (which would be the center-right anywhere else) has betrayed the United States in the GWOT. No anti-Bush progressive has made common cause with Al Qaeda, Hamas, the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan or any other officially designated "terrorist" group. No American liberal has handed over classified information or worked to undermine the
CIA.

But it now appears that Karl Rove, GOP golden boy, has done exactly that.

Last week Time magazine turned over its reporter's notes to a special prosecutor assigned to learn who told Republican columnist Bob Novak that Valerie Plame was a CIA agent. The revelation, which effectively ended Plame's CIA career and may have endangered her life, followed her husband Joe Wilson's publication of a New York Times op-ed piece that embarrassed the Bush Administration by debunking its claims that Saddam Hussein tried to buy uranium from Niger. Time's cowardly decision to break its promise to a confidential source has had one beneficial side effect: according to Newsweek, it indicates that Karl Rove himself made the call to Novak.

One might have expected Rove, the master White House political strategist who engineered Bush's 2000 coup d'état and post-9/11 permanent war public relations campaign, to have ordered a flunky underling to carry out this act of high treason. But as the Arab saying goes, arrogance diminishes wisdom.

Rove, whose gaping maw recently vomited forth that Democrats didn't care about 9/11, is atypically silent. He did talk to the Time reporter but "never knowingly disclosed classified information," claims his attorney. But there's circumstantial evidence to go along with Time's leaked notes. Ari Fleischer abruptly resigned as Bush's press secretary on May 16, 2003, about the same time the White House became aware of Ambassador Wilson's plans to go public. (Wilson's article appeared July 6.) Did Fleischer quit because he didn't want to act as spokesman for Rove's plan to betray CIA agent Plame? Another interesting coincidence: Novak published his Plame column on July 14, Fleischer's last day on the job.

If Newsweek's report is accurate, Karl Rove is more morally repugnant and more anti-American than Osama bin Laden. Bin Laden, after all, has no affiliation with, and therefore no presumed loyalty to, the United States. Rove, on the other hand, is a U.S. citizen and, as deputy White House chief of staff, a high-ranking official of the U.S. government sworn to uphold and defend our nation, its laws and its interests. Yet he sold out America just to get even with Joe Wilson.

Osama bin Laden, conversely, is loyal to his cause. He has never exposed an Al Qaeda agent's identity to the media.

"[Knowingly revealing Plame's name and undercover status to the media]...is a violation of the Intelligence Identities Protection Act and is punishable by as much as ten years in prison," notes the Washington Post. Unmasking an intelligent agent during a time of war, however, surely rises to giving aid and comfort to America's enemies--treason. Treason is punishable by execution under the United States Code.

How far up the White House food chain does the rot of treason go? "Bush has always known how to keep Rove in his place," wrote Time in 2002 about a "symbiotic relationship" that dates to 1973. This isn't some rogue "plumbers" operation. Rove would never go it alone on a high-stakes action like Valerie Plame. It's a safe bet that other, higher-ranking figures in the Bush cabal--almost certainly Dick Cheney and possibly Bush himself--signed off before Rove called Novak. For the sake of national security, those involved should be removed from office at once.

Rove and his collaborators should quickly resign and face prosecution for betraying their country, but given their sense of personal entitlement impeachment is probably the best we can hope for. Congress, and all Americans, should place patriotism ahead of party loyalty.

Death penalty for Rove? Dream on...

Guest_Zoomerz_*

Guest_Zoomerz_*
  • Guests
I think there's enough "fact" floating around to dispense with wild speculation....

Ari Fleischer abruptly resigned as Bush's press secretary on May 16, 2003, about the same time the White House became aware of Ambassador Wilson's plans to go public. (Wilson's article appeared July 6.) Did Fleischer quit because he didn't want to act as spokesman for Rove's plan to betray CIA agent Plame? Another interesting coincidence: Novak published his Plame column on July 14, Fleischer's last day on the job.

This entire section should have just been left out. It adds nothing to the accusations, and reduces Rall's credibility in my eyes. We don't have to "throw in the kitchen sink" to indict Rove. That's easy!

jm2c

Z-

Guest_Dado_*

Guest_Dado_*
  • Guests

I think there's enough "fact" floating around to dispense with wild speculation....
This entire section should have just been left out. It adds nothing to the accusations, and reduces Rall's credibility in my eyes. We don't have to "throw in the kitchen sink" to indict Rove. That's easy!

jm2c

Z-

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It won't surprise me at all if nothing comes of it. Remember the CIA are the ones that had an "intelligence failure" in Iraq with the WMDs, so they are somewhat low on the pecking order at the moment.

Guest_Paul J. Lyon_*

Guest_Paul J. Lyon_*
  • Guests
The deed had Rove's name written all over it the minute it hit the news. If it wasn't Rove, you have to ask yourself how he failed his boss at this crucial time of crisis, when the sham reasons for the war were being exposed by the agent's spouse and the phones were ringing at the White House by the press asking for statements.

Also:

1. Rove has done stuff like this all of his career, spreading rumors about opponents to win tight races, playing "dirty tricks," etc.

2. They needed to shut the turncoat up right away, and only had the secret about his wife to use against him.

3. Rove and Bush were the only ones to gain anything by the leak; everybody else, including the national security, suffered.

4. Who would go so far as to commit a crime for Bush's benefit, was in a position to make the decision to do so, and was informed of all of the facts about the immediate victims of the crime?

Damned gunsmoke.

Cary

Cary

Ragin Cajun

• 10,537 posts
An ass
  • Interests:Yes, have some.
  • DOB: I AM Cary

• I am: Cajun (nuff said)

• Country flag:
Not surprising but the White House is scrambling to keep Karl Rove from getting a criminal indictment, behind the scenes of course.

Cary

http://www.livejourn...777/767699.html

White House Scrambles to Stop Criminal Indictment of Rove

From Capitol Hill Blue

Bush Leagues
White House Scrambles to Stop Criminal Indictment of Rove
By DOUG THOMPSON
Publisher, Capitol Hill Blue
Jul 6, 2005, 05:55

The Bush Administration is scrambling behind the scenes to stop a criminal indictment against Presidential advisor Karl Rove for disclosing classified information to reporters in an attempt to discredit a White House critic.

Time Magazine emails turned over to a grand jury show Rove leaked CIA Operative Valerie Plame’s name to journalists after her husband, Ambassador Joseph Wilson, went public with claims the Bush Administration knowing used false information to justify the invasion of Iraq. Plame, until the disclosure, worked as a covert operative for the intelligence agency.

“Some government officials have noted to Time in interviews... that Wilson's wife, Valerie Plame, is a CIA official who monitors the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction,” Time reporter Matthew Cooper wrote in the magazine in July, 2003.

Emails recently turned over to a federal grand jury investigating the leak show Cooper told his editors that Rove was the source of the information. In addition, Rove attorney Karl Luskin confirms that Cooper interviewed Rove for the article but claims that his client “never knowingly disclosed classified information.”

However, a producer for MSNBC’s Hardball program testified before the grand jury that in July, 2003, Rove called the show’s host, Chris Matthews, and said Plame was “fair game.”

As a top White House aide, Rove has "code level" clearance on security matters and would easily have had access to Plame's status at the CIA. White House sources say he requested additional information on both Plame and Wilson before talking to reporters.

If Rove knowingly disclosed classified information he could face federal felony indictments. Sources within the investigation say special prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald is pursuing such an indictment against Rove but that the White House is pressuring the Justice Department to put the brakes on such a move.

“It’s a power game,” says one Justice Department attorney familiar with the investigation. “The White House is very, very worried that this will come back down on Rove and them.”

Rove has long been suspected as the leak of Plame’s name which first appeared in conservative commentator Robert Novak’s column in July 2003. Novak has reportedly cut a deal with the special prosecutor to avoid jail time but two other reporters who also reported Plame’s name – Cooper and New York Times reporter Judith Miller – could be jailed for refusing to testify before the grand jury.

MSBC political analyst Lawrence O’Donnell, appearing on the syndicated McLaughlin Group talk show, also outed Rove as the source last Friday, saying he has two sources that confirm Rove masterminded the leak.

Bill Israel, a former reporter who teaches journalism at the University of Massachusetts and who taught with Rove at the University at Texas, says Rove could have easily set up the Plame affair.

“Rove once described himself as a die-hard Nixonite; he is, like the former president, both student and master of plausible deniability,” Israel says. “Consequently, when former U.S. Ambassador Joseph Wilson challenged President Bush’s embrace of the British notion that Saddam Hussein imported uranium from Niger to produce nuclear weapons, retaliation by Rove was never in doubt.”

© Copyright 2005 Capitol Hill Blue

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their money, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them (around the banks), will deprive the people of their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826), US Founding Father

http://www.conspiracycafe.net/

Cary

Cary

Ragin Cajun

• 10,537 posts
An ass
  • Interests:Yes, have some.
  • DOB: I AM Cary

• I am: Cajun (nuff said)

• Country flag:
The govt. is looking for payback against the reporters on the Valerie Plame case. The judge is supposed hand out sentences today.

Cary

http://www.editorand...t_id=1000973489

Fitzgerald Hits Judith Miller Hard in Tuesday Decision

NEW YORK Special prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald went after Judith Miller harshly Tuesday while arguing that the reporters at the center of the Valerie Plame/CIA case should not be allowed to serve their sentences for contempt as home detention. A federal judge is expected to decide Miller and Matthew Cooper’s fate on Wednesday.

Speaking of Miller, Fitzgerald wrote, "Certainly one who can handle the desert in wartime, is far better equipped than the average person jailed in a federal facility." Miller, of course, covered (some say, mis-covered) the search for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq following the U.S. invasion.

Fitzgerald mocked Miller's claim that being denied cell phone and e-mail privileges would be adequate punishment: "Forced vacation at a comfortable home is not a compelling form of coercion."

Miller "could avoid even a minute of separation from her husband," he wrote in another section, "if she would do no more than just follow the law like every other citizen in America is required to do."

Even more troubling for Miller, Fitzgerald seemed to suggest that she could face criminal charges, in addition to her contempt citation.

"The court should advise Miller that if she persists in defying the court's order that she will be committing a crime," Fitzgerald wrote. "Miller and The New York Times appear to have confused Miller's ability to commit contempt with a legal right to do so....

"Much of what appears to motivate Miller to commit contempt is the misguided reinforcement from others (specifically including her publisher) that placing herself above the law can be condoned."

Catherine J. Mathis, a spokeswoman for the Times, said on Tuesday, "We intend to respond to the special counsel's views in court tomorrow."

Fitzgerald also quoted from various journalists to shoot down the reporter's claims that she represents accepted journalistic standards. Among his sources: Bob Woodward, Anthony Lewis, Mark Bowden, Norman Pearlstine of Time, and Steve Chapman of the Chicago Tribune. Fitzgerald noted that these "journalists, First Amendment scholars and opinion leaders flatly disagree with the position Miller is taking at the behest of the New York Times."

He zinged Miller again here: "Special Counsel appreciates that Miller is also someone who thinks deeply. She is an investigative journalist who has won a Pulitzer Prize and authored several books, including one titled 'God Has Ninety Nine Names' that contains a chapter singularly insightful as to the history and orientation of Egyptian terrorist groups. Neither Special Counsel, nor this Court, should lightly conclude that Miller will spend months in jail without thinking more deeply about the issues discussed above and, in particular, thinking about whether the interests of journalism at large and, even more broadly, the proper conduct of government, are truly served by her continued refuals to obey this Court’s order to testify in an investigation in which she is an eyewitness and her putative source has been identified and has waived confidentiality....

"Miller’s views may change over time, especially if what is viewed as her 'irresponsible martyrdom' obstructing an important grand jury investigation is seen to undercut, not enhance, the credibility of the press and, with it, any case to be made for a federal reporter’s shield law."

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their money, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them (around the banks), will deprive the people of their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826), US Founding Father

http://www.conspiracycafe.net/

Guest_Paul J. Lyon_*

Guest_Paul J. Lyon_*
  • Guests

Miller "could avoid even a minute of separation from her husband," he wrote in another section, "if she would do no more than just follow the law like every other citizen in America is required to do."

As in, I suppose, following the law that requires those with security clearances not to reveal the names of secret agents.

As in, also, I suppose, following the law that requires the President of the United States to protect and defend the Constitution, and those directly under him to help him to do so.

Damned pesky laws.

Guest_Zoomerz_*

Guest_Zoomerz_*
  • Guests
I really must be missing something....Correct me if I'm wrong, but I for one want the tradition of anonymous sources to continue. This could be very damaging to the public's ability to expose corruption if sources (whistleblowers) can't trust that they'll remain anonymous.

Here, Miller DIDN'T WRITE OR PUBLISH ANYTHING..... How is it we're focusing on her contempt, and doing NOTHING about pursuing the true criminals in the administration that caused the action? This is pure horseshit (MHO)....More smoke and mirrors by the administration

Z-

Harte

Harte

Skeptic

• VIP Elite Member
  • 2,675 posts
The Sluzzgreeps pyjama's
  • DOB: Shit, older than Cary

• I am: Spartacus

• Country flag:

I really must be missing something....Correct me if I'm wrong, but I for one want the tradition of anonymous sources to continue. This could be very damaging to the public's ability to expose corruption if sources (whistleblowers) can't trust that they'll remain anonymous.

Here, Miller DIDN'T WRITE OR PUBLISH ANYTHING..... How is it we're focusing on her contempt, and doing NOTHING about pursuing the true criminals in the administration that caused the action? This is pure horseshit (MHO)....More smoke and mirrors by the administration

Z-

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Z.,
You're wrong here. This is part of the process of pursuing the criminals in the administration. There must be testimony about who "leaked" this material (the woman's identity as a CIA agent was already common knowlege inside the beltway) in order for a decent prosecution to ensue.

The "whistleblower" you're referring to here is the person that broke the law by leaking the CIA agent's identity. This "whistleblower" is, according to others in this thread, Karl Rove. You are saying that the court should stop pursuing the criminals in the administration in order to pursue the criminals in the administration.

There was a big movement for a shield law back in the 70's after Watergate that would have protected these reporters from contempt charges, but the bill didn't pass, largely due to opposition from members of the press.

Harte
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
Thomas Jefferson

Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. Bertrand Russell

Ubi dubium ibi libertas.

Gee, what a boring ass world it would be without the likes of us messed up whack job psycho arrogant motherfuckers who DONT BUY INTO EVERYTHING. Risata

Sometimes a shitty stick is just a stick covered in shit and not a Gubbermint plot to makes sticks useless to us. Grayson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

TopSiteList