Welcome to Conspiracycafe.net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

There Is Narrow, And Then, There Is Narrow

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

baudmiksen

baudmiksen

Conspiratus Illuminatus

• Admin Staff
  • 3,592 posts
Totally Scrotnig
  • DOB: Youthful & funloving

• I am: Chilled

• Country flag:

Newberry Award Winner.

Introduced me to the "tesseract."

Took years before I realized they were talking about a hypercube.

They used the term as a verb in the novel to indicate the act of traveling interdimensionally.

Even shorted it to "tesser."

That was pretty dumb, but I enjoyed the book anyway.

Harte

I think she did it intentionally. I had no idea what it was because I was between K and 6th grade and it was a form of math I wasn't even aware of yet. But I do remember it being the first time I became interested in the concept of a fourth dimension. I can't remember the physical description of the tesseract in the book, but i do remember the father found it and that was how he slipped in to the tesseract or wormwhole. Anyways I think it was done purposely to spark the interest in kids. It was a great book.

Is it one of the books they make kids read in school?

dreamwalker

dreamwalker

Darkness

• VIP Elite Member
  • 13,530 posts
The Wahoonie
  • Interests:Determining the best way to escape.
  • DOB: Good side of 30

• I am: Locked and Loaded

• Country flag:
Yep, fifth grade for me.
"I've got a silver spoon on a chain.. I've got a grand piano to prop up my mortal remains. I've got wide staring eyes. I've got a strong urge to fly!! But I've got nowhere to fly to."
-Pink Floyd

Harte

Harte

Skeptic

• VIP Elite Member
  • 2,745 posts
The Sluzzgreeps pyjama's
  • DOB: Shit, older than Cary

• I am: Spartacus

• Country flag:

I think she did it intentionally. I had no idea what it was because I was between K and 6th grade and it was a form of math I wasn't even aware of yet. But I do remember it being the first time I became interested in the concept of a fourth dimension. I can't remember the physical description of the tesseract in the book, but i do remember the father found it and that was how he slipped in to the tesseract or wormwhole. Anyways I think it was done purposely to spark the interest in kids. It was a great book.

I didn't know what it was either. Years later I learned about hypercubes.

One day, while looking into hypercubes, I found out that they are also called tesseracts. I recognized the word (and felt a wierd sense of deja vu.)

Is it one of the books they make kids read in school?

When I was a kid in K-6, there were no books that we "had to" read.

We were too busy learning new-fangled technology - like fire and napped flint.

Harte
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
Thomas Jefferson

Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. Bertrand Russell

Ubi dubium ibi libertas.

Gee, what a boring ass world it would be without the likes of us messed up whack job psycho arrogant motherfuckers who DONT BUY INTO EVERYTHING. Risata

Sometimes a shitty stick is just a stick covered in shit and not a Gubbermint plot to makes sticks useless to us. Grayson

baudmiksen

baudmiksen

Conspiratus Illuminatus

• Admin Staff
  • 3,592 posts
Totally Scrotnig

• Country flag:

I didn't know what it was either. Years later I learned about hypercubes.

One day, while looking into hypercubes, I found out that they are also called tesseracts. I recognized the word (and felt a wierd sense of deja vu.)

When I was a kid in K-6, there were no books that we "had to" read.

We were too busy learning new-fangled technology - like fire and napped flint.

Harte

I'm surprised you didn't look it up right away in a dictionary. How could you read the entire book without wondering what the word meant? I could swear I sensed a certain ambiguity about the word which compelled me to do so. I'm actually kind of fascinated by it because you strike me as the type that wouldn't be satisfied by simply not knowing. As much as one can through type written words I suppose.

If I had to venture a guess at your age, I'd say half a century young. Definitely a quest for fire.

Edited by baudmiksen, 17 June 2012 - 10:10 PM.

StarLord

StarLord

Conspiratus Illuminatus

• VIP Elite Member
  • 14,546 posts
Grayson
  • DOB: I knew Moses

• I am: At Peace with my soul

• Country flag:
Interesting Ideas here.

Come to the Light side. There's No Medals For Stumbling Around In The Dark Is There...Forgive The Darkside, For They Know Not What They Do.

We are Spiritual Beings Having A Human Consciousness Experience.

Wait Long Enough, People Will Forget What They Are About And Show Their True Side To You.

dreamwalker

dreamwalker

Darkness

• VIP Elite Member
  • 13,530 posts
The Wahoonie

• Country flag:
Welcome to the Cafe DocSavage! Enjoy.
"I've got a silver spoon on a chain.. I've got a grand piano to prop up my mortal remains. I've got wide staring eyes. I've got a strong urge to fly!! But I've got nowhere to fly to."
-Pink Floyd

Harte

Harte

Skeptic

• VIP Elite Member
  • 2,745 posts
The Sluzzgreeps pyjama's

• Country flag:

I'm surprised you didn't look it up right away in a dictionary. How could you read the entire book without wondering what the word meant? I could swear I sensed a certain ambiguity about the word which compelled me to do so. I'm actually kind of fascinated by it because you strike me as the type that wouldn't be satisfied by simply not knowing. As much as one can through type written words I suppose.

I was an extremely avid reader. I assumed, similar to many other authors I'd read by 4th grade, that the author had made the word up.

I've never owned a dictionary

If I had to venture a guess at your age, I'd say half a century young. Definitely a quest for fire.

I'll be 56 in human years at the end of August.

Harte
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
Thomas Jefferson

Ubi dubium ibi libertas.

Gee, what a boring ass world it would be without the likes of us messed up whack job psycho arrogant motherfuckers who DONT BUY INTO EVERYTHING. Risata

Sometimes a shitty stick is just a stick covered in shit and not a Gubbermint plot to makes sticks useless to us. Grayson

dreamwalker

dreamwalker

Darkness

• VIP Elite Member
  • 13,530 posts
The Wahoonie

• Country flag:
56 and still missing the point. Send me a PM you will be shocked as to the simplicity. On the other hand it may cause you to revert into a paganistic flurry of antagonistic rhetoric. :)
-Pink Floyd

Harte

Harte

Skeptic

• VIP Elite Member
  • 2,745 posts
The Sluzzgreeps pyjama's

• Country flag:
I said 56 in human years.

I haven't missed any points. In fact, no actual points appear to have been made here.

Harte
Thomas Jefferson

Ubi dubium ibi libertas.

baudmiksen

baudmiksen

Conspiratus Illuminatus

• Admin Staff
  • 3,592 posts
Totally Scrotnig

• Country flag:

I was an extremely avid reader. I assumed, similar to many other authors I'd read by 4th grade, that the author had made the word up.

I've never owned a dictionary

I'll be 56 in human years at the end of August.

Harte

Thats actually a perfectly reasonable explanation.

I remember much of my early reading being done in the school library. They had dictionaries close by. I was comparing it to my own experience. Tis why I asked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

TopSiteList