Welcome to Conspiracycafe.net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Megaupload Data Could Be Erased This Week

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

StarLord

StarLord

Conspiratus Illuminatus

• VIP Elite Member
  • 14,546 posts
Grayson
  • DOB: I knew Moses

• I am: At Peace with my soul

• Country flag:

All the data on Megaupload – legal or illegal – could be erased as soon as Thursday, Feb. 2, the Associated Press reports.

The file storage website hires outside companies – Carpathia Hosting Inc. and Cogent Communications Group Inc – to store its users’ data.

Since Megaupload’s assets have been frozen, the service cannot pay the hosting companies to keep hosting the data. According to a letter by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Virginia, filed in the case Friday, Jan 27, they could begin deleting data Thursday.

Megaupload attorney Ira Rothken says the company is doing what it can to try to keep the data from being deleted. “We’re cautiously optimistic at this point that because the United States, as well as Megaupload, should have a common desire to protect consumers, that this type of agreement will get done,” he said.

If the data is indeed erased, it will be very bad news for some 50 million people who’ve used Megaupload’s services, many of them legally.

The U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) indicted seven people and two companies which ran Megaupload earlier in January. The site’s founder Kim Dotcom (a.k.a. Kim Schmitz) and six others are accused of making $175 and causing $500 million in copyright infringement.

If they’re found guilty in what the indictment calls a “Mega Conspiracy”, the accused could go to prison for a maximum of 20 years.

Come to the Light side. There's No Medals For Stumbling Around In The Dark Is There...Forgive The Darkside, For They Know Not What They Do.

We are Spiritual Beings Having A Human Consciousness Experience.

Wait Long Enough, People Will Forget What They Are About And Show Their True Side To You.

dreamwalker

dreamwalker

Darkness

• VIP Elite Member
  • 13,579 posts
The Wahoonie
  • Interests:Determining the best way to escape.
  • DOB: Good side of 30

• I am: Locked and Loaded

• Country flag:
When Anon goes on a deletion spree after the fact it could get very interesting.
"I've got a silver spoon on a chain.. I've got a grand piano to prop up my mortal remains. I've got wide staring eyes. I've got a strong urge to fly!! But I've got nowhere to fly to."
-Pink Floyd

Khaos

Khaos

What don't kill you make you more strong

• VIP Elite Member
  • 822 posts
Wholly Zarjaz
  • Interests:Paranormal, ancient history, astromony, time travel, weather
  • DOB: I am Young

• I am: Chilled

• Country flag:
Sad how sites like these get shut down, yet illegal sites like pirate bay stay in operation. Guilty until proven guilty.

Expect nothing. I owe you nothing.

Aravind Dealan-de

Aravind Dealan-de

ॐ Earth Momma Goddess ॐ

• THUNDERBIRD
  • 3,439 posts
Totally Scrotnig
  • Interests:Spirituality, Holistic Health/Wellness, Reiki/Energy Work, Outdoors, survival. Historical Reenactment. ॐ

• Country flag:
Pirate bay still does alot of legitimate business...
Imperfection is Beauty Madness is Genius
It's better to be Absolutely Ridiculous Than Absolutely Boring

Those who were seen dancing, were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music! ~Nietzsche

And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in. That’s what this storm’s all about. ~Haruki Murakami

Humankind has not woven the web of life.
We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
All things are bound together.
All things connect.
~ Chief Seattle, 1854 ~

Khaos

Khaos

• VIP Elite Member
  • 822 posts
Wholly Zarjaz

• Country flag:
So did megaupload...

Aravind Dealan-de

Aravind Dealan-de

ॐ Earth Momma Goddess ॐ

• THUNDERBIRD
  • 3,439 posts
Totally Scrotnig
  • Interests:Spirituality, Holistic Health/Wellness, Reiki/Energy Work, Outdoors, survival. Historical Reenactment. ॐ

• Country flag:
Yep. Sad how the guys at Mega upload are looking at 20+ years in prison, when rapists and murderers get *maybe* 5-10 years..

Shows you how fucked up our society is, and where the priorities lay.
Imperfection is Beauty Madness is Genius
It's better to be Absolutely Ridiculous Than Absolutely Boring

Those who were seen dancing, were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music! ~Nietzsche

And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in. That’s what this storm’s all about. ~Haruki Murakami

Humankind has not woven the web of life.
We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
All things are bound together.
All things connect.
~ Chief Seattle, 1854 ~

Khaos

Khaos

• VIP Elite Member
  • 822 posts
Wholly Zarjaz

• Country flag:
Justice system is indeed fucked. Here in Michigan, if you murder someone, you are looking at maybe 6 months in jail. If you get caught with weed 5 years max.

dreamwalker

dreamwalker

Darkness

• VIP Elite Member
  • 13,579 posts
The Wahoonie

• Country flag:
The destruction of free thought and a halt to the spread of information is where the priorities lay. Think Anon will likely fight fire with fire. Wonder how many millions of files shall simply dissapear?

Edited by dreamwalker, 30 January 2012 - 07:01 PM.

"I've got a silver spoon on a chain.. I've got a grand piano to prop up my mortal remains. I've got wide staring eyes. I've got a strong urge to fly!! But I've got nowhere to fly to."
-Pink Floyd

Harte

Harte

Skeptic

• VIP Elite Member
  • 2,759 posts
The Sluzzgreeps pyjama's
  • DOB: Shit, older than Cary

• I am: Spartacus

• Country flag:
You can tell nobody here is trying to make a living off writing or recording.

If somebody uploaded the text of a book I was trying to sell, they'd have a lot more than deletion to worry about.

Harte
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
Thomas Jefferson

Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. Bertrand Russell

Ubi dubium ibi libertas.

Gee, what a boring ass world it would be without the likes of us messed up whack job psycho arrogant motherfuckers who DONT BUY INTO EVERYTHING. Risata

Sometimes a shitty stick is just a stick covered in shit and not a Gubbermint plot to makes sticks useless to us. Grayson

dreamwalker

dreamwalker

Darkness

• VIP Elite Member
  • 13,579 posts
The Wahoonie

• Country flag:

You can tell nobody here is trying to make a living off writing or recording.

If somebody uploaded the text of a book I was trying to sell, they'd have a lot more than deletion to worry about.

Harte

I'm personally just practicing. So pirates have fun. I will be very protected when I want to be because I will take the legal steps to do so. I very much doubt that piracy has put a major dent in Stephen King's bulging wallet. Or for that matter any other writer. It should be about the story anyway. I do see your point on music though. Famous musicians definitely don't make enough. :) God forbid a pirated song should turn others on to their music.
-Pink Floyd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

TopSiteList